Heres our top 5 – in no particular order, due to running out of money and being near the end of our Asia adventure we have spent along time here but Siem Reap has a lot to offer so have fun exploring!
1. Angkor Wat
Well doh! I would go as far as to say the highlight of my trip it speaks for itself.
2. Phare Circus
A community run project that focuses on getting street children into employment through the arts. The skills of everyone involved in this are amazing and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. The circus tells a beautiful story and was enjoyed by everyone there. An amazing evening. Its on every night and I wish I could go every night!
3. Old market/Street food
The street food opposite the old market (which is an attraction all of its own) is wonderful. You can choose from their menu for just $1.5 and the food is ample and delicious. As we are now on a very tight budget we have enjoyed many a meal there. OK you have to sit on a plastic chair pretty much in the middle of the road but its a great place to people watch and chat to locals.
4. Landmine Museum
A bit of a trek, and a few tuk tuk drivers tried to put us off going but we loved every second and was worth the trek. We rented a moped that worked out cheaper and was much more fun. The museum itself is small and quite run down but shares a remarkable story of one man and his wife who want to make Cambodia safe from landmines for their people. Its inspiring and some of the statistics are mindblowing.
5. Pub Street
If you want good western food or a traditional khmer BBQ this is the place with you. You can watch Apsara dancing for free and most places do 50cent beer. If you want to eat aa tarantula or a crocodile burger this is also the place for you. it has everything from family fun to romantic dining, from quiet bars to dance the night away parties. Angkor Wat bar and temple are personal favourites of ours but make sure you visit the street that has everything!
New Years Resolution update:
13.04.2017 (Week 15 of challenge) Books Read:
- A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams And Dust – George R. R. Martin
- A Dance With Dragons 2: After The Feast – George R. R. Martin
- Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
- Comfort food – Kitty Thomas
- Mark One – John Hindmarsh (must read sequel at some point)
- Girl Undone – Marla Madison
- The Sick House – Ambrose Ibsen
- The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
- On The Road – Jack Kerouac
- Survivor The Triumph Of An Ordinary Man In The Khmer Rouge Genocide – Chum Mey
- The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules – Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg
- Bone Pit: A Chilling Medical Suspense Thriller – Bette Golden Lamb and J. J. Lamb
- Sabotage – Dale Wiley
- Dracula – Bram Stoker
- **Currently 400 pages into War And Peace so might take a while***
Status: ONE WEEK BEHIND