So we arrived back after an uneventful night bus journey from Siem Reap. We found somewhere to stay and slept all morning as we arrived at about 6am. Everywhere was expensive because its khmer new year celebrations tomorrow and that lasts for few days. So the detox is officially on hold. First thing we did was pop into Jack and Daniels bar and meet up with Jack and few other people we know who work there. 2nd thing we did was go get some marmite on toast as it is my favourite! YUMMY!
We moved hostels 3 times in the first 3 days and ended up back at the faithful Monkey Republic where the food is good and they have a pool. However the room was very hot so we looked around for other options initially to no avail! We had loads of fun for new year squirting all the children with water pistols and drinking way too much beer.
Joe has now developed a kebab addiction and I have to say I feel it might be the way forward we have been enjoying the nightly intake of 2 or 3 kebabs each!
We had a really nice day at Otres with Rikki and Celia who both work at Jacks and hired mopeds so we could get around!
Joe felt ill for a few days and one night I decided to head out alone. I ended up at a pub quiz and randomly joined a team of strangers, here I met Tim and Seravin. We didn’t win the quiz but got chatting. Tim mentioned that they had just opened an air b n b and that we could stay for a bit of a discount as its low season! It has air con and a kitchen and I was very excited. So off we went the next morning. Joe was a tad concerned about all this as i was very drunk and he was convinced we were going to be moving in with some weirdos but everything went swimmingly and they are really lovely people. We’ve spent a bit of time hanging out with them and its been nice to unpack all my clothes and get a bit of order!!
That same night I met T and S I was on my way home trying to be sensible and bumped into the girls from the night of the night boat catastrophe (read about it here! If you have no idea what i’m on about) They’d just got into town and wanted to know where to go so I took them down to Jack and Daniels and managed to get myself a free drink for my promoting work. Lets just say I had a few too many! Joe wasn’t too impressed with the state of me.
This is the start of what I think is going to be a good week so look out for Sihanoukville take 2 coming soon.
New Years Resolution update:
22.04.2017 (Week 16 of challenge) Books Read:
- A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams And Dust – George R. R. Martin
- A Dance With Dragons 2: After The Feast – George R. R. Martin
- Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
- Comfort food – Kitty Thomas
- Mark One – John Hindmarsh (must read sequel at some point)
- Girl Undone – Marla Madison
- The Sick House – Ambrose Ibsen
- The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
- On The Road – Jack Kerouac
- Survivor The Triumph Of An Ordinary Man In The Khmer Rouge Genocide – Chum Mey
- The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules – Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg
- Bone Pit: A Chilling Medical Suspense Thriller – Bette Golden Lamb and J. J. Lamb
- Sabotage – Dale Wiley
- Dracula – Bram Stoker
- First They Killed My Father – Loung Ung
- War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy (Among others still a work in progress i’ll keep at it)
Status: STILL ONE WEEK BEHIND